If you are looking for a natural remedy to get rid of headaches, this DIY headache and tension balm works wonders. It contains all natural ingredients and essential oils which help soothe your mind and relax your tense muscles.
Many of us suffer from headaches, these could be allergy headaches or sinus headaches or even migraine headaches. There are multiple over the counter medicines available in the market, but popping one very often isn’t good for our health and these do come with side effects.
Essential oils are a wonderful source which can help reduce headache and they are completely natural, safe and non toxic.
Why I love this Headache balm:
- It works for all kinds of headaches whether its sinus, allergy or tension related
- Natural remedy
- Very easy to make
- Simple & easily available ingredients
Choice of Essential oils for this balm:
Lavender Essential oil : Lavender is an excellent oil which is known for its calming and relaxing properties. It can help ease stress and soothe headache pain. Lavender essential oil is also known to help improve blood circulation, reduce inflammation, soothe tired muscles and provides pain relief. It is best known to treat allergy related headaches.
Peppermint Essential oil : Peppermint Essential oil is a wonderful remedy to treat headaches. Poor blood flow can sometimes be the cause for headaches. Peppermint oil has vasodilating properties that help relax blood vessels, increase blood flow, and reduce headache pain. It is a natural muscle relaxant, can help reduce muscle contractions and helps get rid of headaches. Peppermint oil is helpful at easing symptoms related to all kinds of headaches- tension headaches, stress headaches, migraines, sinus headaches, and allery-triggered headaches.
Frankincense Essential oil : Frankincense essential oil can help soothe irritated skin and helps one feel relaxed and uplifted. It helps build immune system, improves sleep, and helps reduce stress. Frankincense oil helps with neurological issues and is great for relieving migraine pressure as it clears mucus and congestion.
How to make Headache Balm:
- Add Beeswax, coconut oil and almond oil in a heat safe bowl
- Melt this mixture on double boiler Place the measuring cup in a saucepan with 1-2 inches of water at the bottom. Heat the water over medium flame until its simmering. Occasionally stir the mixture till its completely melted.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Add the essential oils
- Pour the mixture in small jars
- Allow the balms to cool and completely solidify before putting on the lids
How to use natural Headache Balm:
- Take a small amount of balm in your finger and apply on temples, head, shoulders and/or behind ears
- Gently rub in
- Breathe in the aroma and relax
Safety & Precautions:
- Essential oils are only for external use and should never be ingested
- Store essential oils out of reach of children and store them apart from other products. Some essential oils can be fatal to pets and therefore always research before using them
- Essential oils must ALWAYS be diluted before applying on skin as they are highly concentrated as can cause irritation. You can dilute them in carrier oil of your choice and the max concentration of essential oils should be 3-4%
- Always do a patch test before applying on larger areas of skin It is unclear what effects essential oils have on pregnant and breastfeeding women. While some consider them safe, many doctors advice pregnant women to avoid use of essential oils
- Always buy pure essential oils and stay away from fake counterparts as they wont contain same therapeutic benefits
The cooling effect of this balm will soothe the pain and is perfect for massaging on temples, behind neck, and behind ears or wherever you feel pain. It is all natural, simple and effective! So give it a try & let us know how you like it!!
Disclaimer: The information provided on this page is for informational and educational purposes. I am not a medical professional and highly recommend consulting a doctor before using essential oils as part of any medical treatment.
You may also like: